Sometimes I have an idea for a story that I’d prefer to keep to myself. But when I started this site I decided to be open and share my ideas. A huge reason I don’t mind sharing ideas on this site, or worry about them being used, is that a good story is more about character development than anything else. My favorite ideas are the ones where I immediately feel the potential for character development. It’s probably just me, but this is a story that I feel has a lot of potential for great character development.
The year is 2035 and Danny Smitherman works for a secret division of NASA that believes they’ve just made contact with an alien planet. The first transmission received is a response to a series of math problems broadcast from Danny’s lab. In turn he responds with more math – an algorithm that when solved displays a geometric 3d image of a human. Shortly after sending the algorithm he receives a transmission written in English. Discouraged that he’s somehow communicating with humans on earth, Danny responds with a video asking for clarification on who’s he’s communicating with. But when they do the same, Danny realizes he communicating with anywhere but earth.
Years prior to Danny’s contact, a series of alien abductions from earth resulted in the cloning of humans and the growth of an earth-like world light years away. And the human’s there have no idea that their ancestors are from our little planet. Danny’s communication sets off a dangerous attempt to connect the two worlds.
Story Idea Questions
- Will the two worlds be compatible?
- What kind of space travel might there be in a story like this? Or do we connect the worlds by teleportation using advanced technology on the new planet?
- While our motives are pure curiosity, what motives might the other planet have for wanting a relationship with Earth?
- How will the aliens who created the new world respond to our finding and meddling with their creation?
- What kind of advanced technologies might the newer planet have?
- What cultural differences exist between the two worlds? For example does the new planet have marriage? Religion?
- What types of characteristics between the two worlds are surprising similar?
Let us know what you think about our ideas! Comment below to give us your opinion, add onto an existing idea, or submit one of your own!